I made Lucille in less than 2 hours for less than $20, and you can too!

by Victoria Fox

I convinced a friend to be Negan for a work costume contest and naturally put myself in charge of making his infamous weapon. Our lack of time required some quick crafting and allocating of materials (I.e. Lots of yelling and screaming at each other in Target). Hopefully though, you’re not like me and have a liiiiitle bit more time.


For this dirty girl you’ll need:

  • A baseball bat (I used a foam one)
  • Fake barbed wire
  • Dark brown and silver acrylic paints
  • Water
  • A disposable cup
  • The paint brushes of your choice

To my surprise, I found a nearly perfect bat at a Five and Below for five dollars. (If you’ve never been to a Five and Below before, do yourself a favor and get there now. It is magical.)


The shape and size of the bat were great, however the coloring was far too light to be Lucille. To make it darker, I placed a few squirts of the dark brown acrylic paint into the disposable cup and added enough water to fill up about a fourth of the cup. I proceeded to mix the paint and water together until it was largely just a very watered down version of the paint. The goal was to make a sort of wash for the bat that was just enough to discolor it, but not so that I was actually fully painting the whole thing.



I did the first coat using this method, waited about 20 minutes, and then came back to do another coat. I ended having done about three coats in total.

In the midst of my painting, I realized that the paint mixture made the slugger logo on the bat vulnerable, so after the first two coats I proceeded to scrape the logo off. Doing so did scrape up the foam of the bat a bit but I figured with Lucille, the more texture the better!

While the bat was drying, I decided (since I was basically crafting on borrowed time) to paint the barbed wire quickly. The costume barbed wire I actually already had on hand from a previous endeavor, but you can find it here on Amazon for around six dollars (and it’s a Prime item, too!). The length was perfect for this project (it says 18 ft on the description, but that definitely wasn’t the case for me. I would say what I recieved was around 4-5 ft), so there’s no need to worry about cutting it. The color is great for a rusted look, however at the end of the day it is cheap costume wire and lacks the dimension needed to make it convincing. That is where the silver paint comes in.

Using the paint brush of your choice, lightly brush the silver over the entirety of the barbed wire. The goal is to give it a good amount of texture, so fully covering the original rusted color is highly discouraged. Basically, paint it as haphazardly as possible. You’re welcome.

This should give you:


And after all of that painting, now we wait. In the meantime, check the bat to make sure the color is to your liking. If not, add a coat or two more. There are no rules here, who am I to tell you how to live your life?

Once all of our pieces are dry, now it’s time for some assembly.

Taking the barbed wire, wrap it around the end of the baseball bat starting at about 6 inches from the top and working your way up. There are once again no rules here. If you’re going for more of a screen accurate look though, be sure to wrap he wire more horizontally, crossing it every now and then, and leaving a piece more separate towards the bottom. When you’re done wrapping, try to tie the end piece and tuck it in for a little extra security.



This wire had amazing staying power considering I did not wrap it around the bat as tight as I could have. That being said, I originally had plans in place to secure the wire with (my personal favorite) crazy glue, but after seeing how well it held on, decided against it. You do you though, and secure it if you must! If I had time, I probably would’ve gone ahead with it anyways.

Voila! Pee Pee Pants City.

On a side note, because this was for a work thing, blood and guts weren’t allowed. This obviously killed me a little inside, but I did put a good amount of thought into what I would do were the blood and guts allowed. This blood right here is pretty great for several different things; my favorite use being staining clothes, props, etc. (and it’s Prime as well!). I would’ve spattered a good amount of the blood around the end, even probably adding some darker red paints to it to really give it some dimension. If you wanted to add a few brains to the end, I highly recommend the Mehron 3-D Gelatin effects, which you can find here. It’s awesome, affordable, easy to use, and is, once again, Prime. Adding some of that to the barbed wire and painting it once it dried would have added the perfect amount of gore. Sigh. Maybe one day.

Well, that’s all the time we have for today. Enjoy that glorious weapon, but not too much.


Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s #1 Fan Girl